- Understanding and valuing the learner
- Knowing what and how to teach and assess and how to create an environment in which learning occurs
- Understanding ourselves as professionals
Foreign language candidates will take into consideration the ACTFL/NCATE standards for the preparation of teachers. ESOL candidates will follow the TESOL/NCATE standards for teacher education programs. http://www.tesol.org/
Specific Items to be Included in the Portfolio
- The candidate’s current résumé.
- Work done in all graduate classes, special projects, and achievements.
- Samples of work from classes the candidate is teaching. (Please remove any identifying texts from student samples and obtain appropriate permission to use them.)
- M.Ed. dispositions forms.
- Evidence of fieldwork.
- Self-reflections and narratives.
Organization of the Portfolio
- section 1. Personal information (résumé, etc.).
- section 2. ACTFL or TESOL evidence data sheet and supporting evidence. If you have no evidence for a category, please include a short statement describing how you meet that standard.
- section 3. Teacher competencies - Organize additional evidence according to the 3 Teacher Competency areas. Introduce each of the 3 sections with a narrative.
- section 4. Final Reflection -- Address what you perceive to be your strengths and weaknesses at this point, what you have learned in this program, how your teaching has improved, etc.
- section 5. Documentation of field experience and observations.
- Section 6. Other (student work, honors, materials created).